Friday, March 16, 2007

SXSW '07

Went to the Hydrahead Records showcase at the EMO's annex (usually where a taco stand is most of the time). Suffered through the band Oxbow and an acoustic set by some artist whose name I would find out if I cared. Next up was Daughters from Rhode Island. The music had the sound of a carousel spinning out of control in a psyche ward. The vocalist was a highly energetic malnutrioned son of G.G. Allin who enjoyed spitting on himself: into his pants, onto his face and eyes, and dangling it from a string above the audience. Still quite enjoyable. Big Business took the stage. A dude with a fro and an excessive beard. He was wearing a black panther shirt and ripped at the bass like it insulted his grandmother. The drummer understated with what appeared to be gardening gloves wrapped with duct tape. Later in the set a guitarist joined them to fill out the already overwhelming sound. Holy shit! Very powerful set. Next was JESU. Really heavy, really boring. At this point the HOt Dog King down the street was calling. We ducked out to eat. The King had a Queen to help him for the night. I aske for onions while my buddy was ordering the dogs. She barked at me as if she worked for SXSW or something. All was cool. We went back to the show. Now they had a SXSW girl working the door. She informed me I didn't have the appropriate stamp to get back in. I showed her my stamp and she informed me that was for over twent-one and I would need to pay 15 bucks to watch the last band in the tent. Fuck that. We opted to listen and watch them from outside. Pelican was the last band an instrumental band. The were excellent, but I really prefer my metal with a voice. The night was done for me and my back and shoulder were worn. I hopped on bike and rolled home.

Tonight I'm going to see Public Enemy and tomorrow Mastadon free shows, but I have VIP passes. We'll see what that means.

No comments:

Post a Comment