Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello's music is like a gift that keeps on giving. I started really listening to Elvis in high school. I had heard songs like Every Day I Write the Book and Oliver's Army. When I was working in a department store in a high school work program, I started listening to Veronica. I bought Spike: The Beloved Entertainer and listened the shit out of it. I went to Craig's Record Factory and picked up The Best of Elvis Costello & the Attractions. The obsession began. I began collecting a lot of Elvis albums and reading interviews and books.
My absolute favorite album Imperial Bedroom:Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This album has some of my favorite Costello tunes of all times. Beyond Belief, Man Out of Time, Human Hands, Almost Blue.
I've collected quite a few at this point. I have enjoyed his transition from Pub Rock to Jazz, Blues, Reggae, Orchestral, & Pop. Elvis has taught me to open my mind a listen to lots of different kinds of sounds and to look beyond the music into the potential depth of lyrics. To this day I can listen to an old Costello song and then sit there and decipher it all afternoon. I haven't bought a Costello album since All This Useless Beauty, but I really need to update my catalog.
My favorite songs (top ten):
10.Radio
9. Human Hands
8. Tramp The Dirt Down
7. Almost Blue
6. Brilliant Mistake
5. I Want You
4. The Comedians
3. Motel Matches
2. Shipbuilding
1. Beyond Belief
Elvis made me aware of Chet Baker. Wow! Talk about a gift that keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment